One of the most common issues police encounter with teens and young adults is fake IDs. Underage kids used it to enter clubs, buy alcoholic drinks, and other age-restricted activities and goods.
So, what do police do with fake IDs? They end up with the police who will confiscate it, carefully check your ID, investigate where and how the ID is made, and then destroy it afterward.
These confiscated fake IDs can also be used against you if you are charged, may face court hearings, pay large amounts of fines, and even jail time.
To understand further what authorities do with confiscated fake IDs, and the possible penalties you can face having it– keep on reading.
Table of Contents
What Happens if You Get Caught With a Fake ID?
In today’s digital age and generation, it is easier to create fake IDs like driver’s licenses and passports. There are tons of photo editing apps and powerful printers that can create IDs in an instant.
Since this issue is prevalent, different states have already made sure to make their own fake ID investigation and laws to punish those who are caught. In fact, some states charge people who are caught using fake IDs with a felony.
Each state’s fake ID laws apply not just to persons who are found using fake IDs, but also when they are;
If you are caught:
- Exercise your Miranda right and keep quiet.
- Give up your fake ID card.
- You should leave where you tried to buy something inappropriate for your age or entered a place unlawfully.
- You are at risk of being charged with double offenses because possessing and using a fake ID is illegal.
Or even worse, you may face:
- Additional Charges: You risk being charged with juvenile possession of such items as cigarettes, alcohol, or drugs if you purchase them using a fake ID.
- Jail Time: You might serve time in jail if you are found guilty of using a fake ID. Although state laws may provide a prison term, they aren’t typically used as punishment for false ID offenses, especially for minor and first-time offenders.
- Fines: You may be paying small fines or huge amounts of fines.
- Probation: You would have to go through the necessary probation. Once sentenced to probation, the court expects you to adhere to many rules. If you don’t follow these probation rules, the court could increase your probation or give you a jail sentence.
So, can a fake ID be traced back to you? Well, that depends on what state you reside in. While fake ID is illegal in every state, each has its laws defining it and its penalties.
Possible Consequences in Different States:
What are the possible consequences? Here are some penalties that may be imposed by various states when you are caught by the fake ID police:
|State||Fines for fake IDs|
In any location we reside, it is necessary to remain truthful and follow the law. Engaging in criminal activities, such as using fake IDs, can potentially ruin your reputation and your police record.
Now that you have learned “what do police do with fake ids” and its consequences, you need to stay away from that illegal act.
If you’re aware of someone using fake IDs with impunity, consider warning them about the risks they’re taking.
Use this article to educate anyone you know about the dangers associated with owning, making, buying, and selling fake IDs.
John Cotton is Safecallnow’s copywriter. He is an authority on research and reviews. He is responsible for locating information and guidance on riot and disturbance control equipment, training equipment, correctional products, watch house products, tactical equipment, government regulation information, and more. His work guarantees a high level of proficiency and authority.